A special "Heigh-Ho" from Kermit the Blog...oops...Kermit the Frog!

Saturday, October 6, 2007

THING 4 -- Social Networking

Kind of like Instant Messaging, the idea of Social Networking rubs me the wrong way. First off, I am not a very "social" person (in the real world, let alone the cyber one). My friends outside of the Library know this all too well. Yet, many of my friends and colleagues here are always taken aback to hear that I am truly a naturally unfriendly person. Yes, I can turn on a more outgoing version of myself when I am serving the public (MANDY 2.0), but when I'm on my own time, I can be very standoffish (but hopefully not rude). Actually, some of the people who work at the Library have probably seen this side. If I don't know you well, I can get inappropriately shy or quiet (as opposed to the blabbering fool I usually am). I have MANY good people in my life. These relationships are based on genuine feelings. I do not want fair-weathered friends and do not aspire to use or be used by people. But once again, I digress...here are my thoughts on the four Social Networking tools we are supposed to explore.

MySpace: I believe MySpace started out as a networking tool for the entertainment industry, then really took off with the "young adult" set. I know it has even broadened its appeal over the years, as both my 35-year-old brother and 27-year-old sister both use it a lot to keep in touch with friends and keep up-to-date on bands and other performers. I did consider signing up about a year ago, but I guess I must continue the tradition of being the difficult middle child who refuses to follow trends. Knowing my siblings, their pages are fun and appropriate, not wild and scandalous. I must admit that is another reason I shy away from MySpace...it's got a somewhat bad reputation. I've viewed some really nice pages, and I've also come across some downright raunchy ones. Lastly, MySpace gives users the option to upload so many audio, video, and graphics displays, that my little computer just can't take it!

Facebook: I have been on Facebook for some time now, yet I hardly ever use it. It's funny that it seems less flashy than MySpace, but I think it was originally geared to a high school and college age group, whereas MySpace wasn't. I also know more people who use Facebook. It's neat that it helps me keep up with one of my best friends who has lived out of the country for 10 years now, then again, e-mail does the same thing with much less "showiness." I only really check in when someone else has made contact with me, thus my unfriendliness has served me well in cyberspace, too!

LinkedIn: I've been a part of LinkedIn for about a year. I think "they" contacted me...I can't really remember what happened. I've been meaning to update and lengthen my profile, but real life has taken precedence. Let's see, I did re-establish a friendship through LinkedIn. I also think it could help in regards to marketing my freelance endeavors. I need to re-explore LinkedIn soon. I will post an update when I do...I promise!

Eons: I'm not in the right age bracket for this site. I think it is a nice idea though.

Other sites: I know people who just love LibraryThing. I've explored it, but again, it is just not a top priority for me...maybe in the future.

Another weird phenomenon is that online dating sites are now trying to become online networking sites. I know this through a friend (yes, a friend) who has used these sites. I guess now many of them are allowing you to "friend" potential mates as well as other platonic friends. I am not a fan of online dating, but this really appears to be its downfall. I don't see it beneficial that you can develop relationships with other potential suitors of your match. It really seems like high school...well, not my experience, as I went to an all-girls school, but you know what I mean. I know a couple people who have found love through a web site, yet for everyone who does, there are thousands more just hanging on hope for a relationship whose real foundation is a keyboard and mouse. This is my problem with Social Networking in general...as humans we need to continue to explore real ways to communicate and make a difference in the lives of our loved ones, not establish pseudo-friendships where we've never even seen the person!! How much longer before we morph into computers ourselves?! Hey, where'd that soapbox come from?? I guess I should step off it now. BYE!

1 comment:

pam said...

Couldn't agree with you more about the goofiness inherent in social networking in general and "dating" services on-line specifically. What makes me laugh is everybody trying so hard to get noticed with the coolest name or picture or whatever - it's kind of like Las Vegas without the binging of the slot machines! If it's really you - be honest and see what happens. Here's to soapboxes!