A special "Heigh-Ho" from Kermit the Blog...oops...Kermit the Frog!

Thursday, November 29, 2007

THING 10 -- Virtual Library Branch

Skokie Public Library's Web site has been part of my life for more than 8.5 years. See, I feel as a Library employee, it is part of my job to be aware of the site and its many features. This isn't to say that I'm not surprised numerous times throughout the year at some of the great additions that just seem to magically appear on our site. Actually, I know "magic is just an illusion" and a lot of hard work goes into our wonderful site. The Skokie toolbar now gets just as much use as my Google toolbar.

I am kind of embarrassed to say that I have never downloaded an e-book before this experience. I spend a lot of time reading on computer screens for work and freelancing, so I prefer not to read for pleasure on the screen. Plus, I am one of those people who loves the actual experience of holding and feeling a book as well as reading it -- in other words, I am a kinesthetic learner. I do like the idea of e-books for textbooks or reference materials. Instead of buying a bulky textbook, students could merely subscribe to e-books for the length of class. I'm sure this would help med students, law students, or others who have to consult about 10 different books for a single class. I know they'd like to own some of the books, but they can make that determination after they've paid for a semester-long "subscription" to each of the books needed for that semester. I also am glad to see we have some Cliffs Notes in e-book format...COOL! This is the only way I'd really be able to read fiction e-books.

There are so many great databases on out Web site. I love Live Homework Help (Tutor.com). This is really helpful to the public as well as the librarians. It offers us an alternative to just saying, "No, we cannot help with homework." Some of my other favorites (for professional, personal, or both uses) are: Books in Print, the NewsBank archives, Children's Literature Comprehensive Database, Corporate Affiliations, CQ Researcher, CultureGrams, Gale Virtual Reference Library, Kids Search, MEDLINE, NoveList, Public Records Electronic Database, Smithsonian Global Sound for Libraries®, TeachingBooks.net, The TumbleBook Library for Kids, and World Book Online. PHEW!

I guess I am biased when I say we have a great Web site. I'm sure there are areas in which we could still grow, but none come to mind. I did explore some of the Web site's on Library Success' library web site hall of fame. I'm underwhelmed. With the recent addition of IM services, I think our Library is more than "Keeping up with the Joneses" technology-wise. And with this 1o Things initiative, I'm glad to see so many staff members are, too!!

Now, I just need to go back to Thing 5, upload a photo, and experience Flickr and I will be as on the ball as all the rest of those who've completed the journey!

No comments: