A special "Heigh-Ho" from Kermit the Blog...oops...Kermit the Frog!

Thursday, November 29, 2007

THING 9 -- Google Tools - Online Productivity

I've played around with Google Docs before. It is nice for basic file transfering, especially when I don't have a flash drive handy. Mostly I've used it for basic documents, but today I also played around with the spreadsheet and presentation functions. I still prefer Microsoft Office products better, but since I don't have Excel or PowerPoint on my home computer, these are nice, simple options for me. Of course, part of the reason I do not own either of these software applications is because I rarely use them. This may change, now that I had fun with Google Docs online.

I also think the applications may be useful for our Library users. Many of them use our resources because they do not have certain capabilities at home. I've spoken with many kids who have Microsoft Office software, but not the Internet. Similarly, I've spoken to kids who have the Internet, but no word processing or other application software (for shame, yes, I know). This is a helpful tool for them to create and later retrieve documents.

Ah, yes, 1o Things Team, here you go once again...giving me still another exercise that helps me on two levels: personally AND professionally for myself and the patrons. If I wore a hat, I'd tip it to all four of you!

No comments: