A special "Heigh-Ho" from Kermit the Blog...oops...Kermit the Frog!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

THING 7 -- Podcasting

My first exposure to podcasting was a few years back when a local radio personality started podcasting his radio broadcasts. I'm not a huge fan of talk radio, but sometimes it is a nice diversion while you are doing something else (like putzing around doing crafts or housework). I listened occasionally and enjoyed the fact that I could listen on-demand, so to speak. I knew there were many other podcasts out there, but I guess I never really had the inclination to look further (I think I've said this of other "things" as well).

I decided to explore Learn Out Loud's podcast directory. The first podcasts I listened to were of Aesop's Fables. Yes, they were at the top of the alphabetical list and they are also relatively short, but that isn't why I chose them. I have always loved the witty morals of each fable and wanted to hear them performed. I must admit I was a little disappointed because they were read very quickly and with very little embellishment...boring! OK, well I got some more experience with podcasting, but I still needed more...and better.

I continued exploring Learn Out Loud and found some better podcasts. They have a lot of NPR podcasts, which I love. I also registered and will be exploring the site more in the future. I wanted and needed to search a few other directories before I got too involved with this site.

I then visited the Library Success Wiki and found many library-related podcasts. I know there have to be a lot more out there than they link to, but the ones on the wiki seem really professional and top notch. Booktalks Quick and Simple is an award-winning page that features almost 500 booktalks by children's librarian Nancy Keane. Her talks are less than 2 minutes per book, but very good (and helpful). I WILL DEFINITELY BE VISITING THIS SITE AGAIN!

Lastly, I visited Podcast Alley. This site was a little overwhelming, but I did download a few podcasts...this time more for personal interests. It has a "plethora" of podcasts and I know it's a great source if I'm looking for a very specific type of podcast, but I don't know if I'll be back anytime soon. I'd rather explore more libraries at the Library Success Wiki.

Podcasting could be a great tool for our Library (e.g. author talks, storytelling, interviews, etc.), I just don't know much about the technical aspects of creating one -- I know I could explore gabcast or other sites if I was so inclined. I would wholeheartedly support the Library in its podcasting efforts, I just wouldn't want my squeaky voice attached to any such projects!

No comments: